Businesses and agencies who want to rank for keywords cannot afford to ignore building backlinks in 2023 through various ethical strategies.
According to Google, quality backlinks remain one of the top three ranking factors, along with content and mobile optimisation.
If you want to move up your search rankings, the best way is to focus on organic link building and acquire a lot of high authority links to your website.
This is pretty much clear now!
SEOs are always looking to find new and innovative ways (apart from the set best practices) to build backlinks. Everyone has a new take on what they feel will work or not. However, one thing is certain, using Black Hat strategies to build links is something, which might get brands, agencies, and SEOs into trouble.
Remember Google is smart and it is not 2011 anymore when SEOs used to get use black hat link-building strategies like spamming, unnecessary blog commenting and so on.
In addition, many link-building techniques, such as the ones where individuals once exchanged links for links, are now viewed as immoral. Additionally, if users continue to engage in such behavior, search engines would probably discover it and penalize the websites.
So why go through all that challenge for your brand?
Recent research found a relationship between the number of backlinks you have and the amount of organic traffic you get from Google.
But don’t be afraid.
There are still several ethical link-building tactics that you can use to acquire links the proper way. All you have to do is be conscious of unethical practices and steer clear of them while attempting to establish a backlink profile for your website.
In this article, we are going to look at 16 ethical or organic link-building best practices in 2023. Before we get to the list, let us first look at why link-building is important.
The Benefits and Importance of Link Building in 2023
We have already mentioned how backlinks building in 2023 is important for ranking on Google search for specific keywords. However, if done right, organic link building best practices can benefit in the following ways also:
- Driving traffic from a high-volume site (where your link is placed) to your own website, landing page, or social media profiles.
- Having your brand building backlinks in high-authority platforms also helps in raising your own brand credibility and exposure.
- It is also important to note that building backlinks in the right manner can help in effective lead generation for a brand campaign.
- According to many experts, successful link building practices can automatically boost organic visibility.
- At the end of the day, all the above combine to help a brand improve sales and generate revenues. In other words, set up a profitable business online.
Here Are The List of 16 Ethical Link Building Strategies in 2023
For many SEOs, Content and Link Building is what comprises the entire discipline. While this may be a narrow understanding, if done right, it can be successful in garnering the maximum results.
1. Building Backlinks through Reclamation
There are many times when people are going to list your website on a ‘best type article. They might be writing the article on behalf of their client, but would want to list down the competitors.
This is a great opportunity to use a social listening tool and reach out to the publisher or platform. Connect with them, build relationships, and ask them to give you a link back to your website.
Here are the steps to build backlinks through reclamation:
- Backlink Audit:
- Start by conducting a comprehensive backlink audit using tools like Ahrefs, SEMrush, or Moz. Identify all the backlinks that used to point to your website but are now broken or have been removed.
- Compile a List:
- Create a list of all the lost or broken backlinks, including the referring page’s URL and the anchor text used in the link.
- Check for Valuable Links:
- Prioritize your list by identifying high-quality or authoritative websites that have removed or changed links to your site. Focus on links from reputable sources or high DR as they carry more weight in SEO.
- Contact Webmasters:
- Reach out to the webmasters of the websites that used to link to your content. Politely inform them about the broken or lost link and provide the correct URL for your content.
- Craft a Concise Outreach Email:
- Your email should be courteous, concise, and to the point. Mention the context of the lost link and its value, and kindly request the link to be reinstated.
- Provide Alternatives (If Applicable):
- If the original content is no longer available or relevant, suggest an alternative piece of content on your site that could be linked instead.
- Follow Up:
- If you don’t receive a response within a reasonable time frame (usually a week or two), send a polite follow-up email to remind them of your request.
- Document Your Efforts:
- Keep track of all communication and outreach efforts in a spreadsheet. Include dates, contact details, and responses received.
- Monitor Progress:
- Continuously monitor your backlink profile to see if the reclaimed links are reinstated. Tools like Google Search Console can help you identify changes in your backlinks.
- Thank Webmasters (When Successful):
- When webmasters agree to reinstate your lost links, express your gratitude. Building positive relationships can lead to more cooperation in the future.
- Repeat the Process:
- Periodically conduct backlink audits and continue the reclamation process to ensure you’re not missing out on any opportunities to regain valuable links.
Remember that backlink reclamation is an ongoing process, and it’s essential to maintain a proactive approach to preserve and improve your website’s link profile.
2. Create Stats
This is one of the best ways to create organic links if you don’t want to spend money on link building. Creating stats makes the information more valuable. Businesses love linking to accurate stats as it helps in credibility. For example, Marketing Lad is a new brand and recently got 8 do-follow backlinks. Now, you may keep the stats like this:
According to Marketing Lad, For every new website if you get 8 good authority do-follow links then your Domain Rating could go up to 15 out of 100 in 7 days. ( Now anyone who finds this stats useful might link to their site for reference.)
This is an example of creating stats and you could do it in your niche while stressing more on research.
3. High Quality Guest Posting
High-quality guest posting powered by quality content can go a long way in building backlinks. However, brands and SEOs need to remember that poor quality content, just for the sake of building backlinks is a strict no-no in Google’s eyes.
If the intent is to create quality backlinks, the aim should be to create long-format, SEO-optimized, and well-researched articles. This will make it very difficult for any publisher to say no.
Here are the steps to successfully execute this approach:
- Identify Your Goals:
- Clearly define your objectives for guest posting. Are you aiming for backlinks, brand exposure, thought leadership, or all of the above?
- Define Your Target Audience:
- Determine your target audience and the websites they frequently visit. Guest posts should align with the interests and needs of this audience.
- Research and List Target Websites:
- Identify websites in your niche or industry that accept guest posts. Use search engines, social media, and guest post directories to find potential opportunities.
- Evaluate Website Relevance and Authority:
- Assess the relevance and authority of each target website. Look for websites that have a good domain authority (DA) and are respected within your niche.
- Review Guest Post Guidelines:
- Carefully read and understand the guest post guidelines provided by each target website. Adhering to these guidelines is crucial for successful submission.
- Generate Unique Content Ideas:
- Brainstorm and develop unique content ideas that are valuable, informative, and aligned with the target website’s audience.
- Craft High-Quality Content:
- Write a well-researched, informative, and engaging guest post that offers real value to the readers. Ensure it is free from grammatical and spelling errors.
- Create a Compelling Author Bio:
- Prepare a brief and professional author bio that highlights your expertise and includes a link back to your website or social profiles.
- Personalize Your Outreach:
- Contact the website owner or editor with a personalized pitch. Mention your appreciation for their website and explain why your guest post would be a good fit.
- Submit Your Pitch:
- Send your guest post pitch along with your proposed topic and a brief outline to the website owner or editor. Be concise and clear in your communication.
- Follow Up (If Necessary):
- If you don’t receive a response within a reasonable timeframe (usually a week or two), send a polite follow-up email to inquire about the status of your pitch.
- Write and Format Your Guest Post:
- Once your pitch is accepted, write and format your guest post according to the website’s guidelines. Include relevant images, headers, and subheadings.
- Include Relevant Links:
- Include relevant internal and external links within your guest post. Ensure that any links you include are helpful and non-promotional.
- Submit Your Guest Post:
- Send the completed guest post to the website owner or editor for review and publication. Be sure to meet any specified deadlines.
- Promote Your Guest Post:
- Share your guest post across your own social media channels, email newsletters, and website to maximize its reach.
- Build Relationships:
- Nurture relationships with the website owners and editors for potential future guest posting opportunities.
Remember that the quality of your guest posts and the relevance of the websites you target are key factors in the success of this link-building strategy. Building strong relationships with website owners can lead to more opportunities and a more effective link-building campaign over time.
4. Link Insertions
Link insertion is a great link building strategy. It’s one of the most effective, valuable and easy to implement link building tactics out there.
Link insertion is where you find an existing piece of content that could benefit from additional resources, and then you reach out to the site owner to suggest your content be added to the page.
Link insertion has a high success rate because the benefits are clear for both sides. Site owners are always looking for ways to make their pages better and more helpful for their users. And if your content is relevant and good enough, site owners will want to link to it.
Link insertion works best when you provide a solution that helps someone else achieve their goals. When you start a campaign with this mindset, it’s easier to find opportunities to create value for other sites, which in turn makes them more likely to accept your request.
We have written a complete article on Link Insertions – An Ultimate Link Building Strategy
5. Journalistic Content Creation
According to experts, one of the most innovative new strategies for building contextual backlinks has become creating journalistic content. This means that you take up a trending issue and use the online resources available to create a stellar piece of content.
Take quotes from industry authority figures. Promote the content on social media. Once people find you have published something, they will be interested in giving you the link and sharing the same on platforms.
Here are the steps to execute a journalistic content creation strategy:
- Identify Newsworthy Topics:
- Research and identify topics within your niche or industry that have a news angle. Look for trends, emerging issues, data, or events that would be of interest to your target audience.
- Conduct In-Depth Research:
- Gather comprehensive and up-to-date information related to your chosen news topic. Use primary sources, industry reports, surveys, and interviews to gather data and insights.
- Create Unique and Authoritative Content:
- Craft a well-researched and informative journalistic piece that presents the news in an engaging and authoritative manner. Include data, quotes from experts, and compelling storytelling.
- Maintain Journalistic Integrity:
- Follow ethical journalism principles, such as accuracy, fairness, and objectivity, throughout the content creation process.
- Add Visuals and Multimedia:
- Enhance your content with relevant images, charts, infographics, and videos. Visual elements can make the content more engaging and shareable.
- Write a Compelling Headline:
- Craft a headline that succinctly captures the essence of the news and piques the interest of readers. Use strong, attention-grabbing language.
- Include Quotes and Citations:
- Incorporate quotes from industry experts, relevant authorities, or official sources to add credibility to your content. Always cite your sources properly.
- Proofread and Edit:
- Carefully proofread and edit your journalistic content to ensure it is free from grammatical errors, typos, and inconsistencies.
- Publish on Your Website:
- Publish the content on your own website’s blog or news section. Ensure that it is easily accessible and well-optimized for search engines.
- Create a Press Release:
- Draft a press release summarizing the key points of your journalistic content. Distribute this press release to relevant media outlets and journalists.
- Outreach to Journalists and Media Contacts:
- Reach out to journalists and media contacts who cover topics related to your content. Provide them with a summary and offer interviews or additional information.
- Leverage Social Media:
- Promote your journalistic content on social media platforms to increase its visibility and encourage sharing.
- Submit to News Aggregators:
- Submit your news content to reputable news aggregators and press release distribution services to expand its reach.
- Measure and Analyze Impact:
- Track the performance of your journalistic content by monitoring website traffic, social shares, backlinks earned, and media coverage.
- Build Relationships with Journalists:
- Nurture relationships with journalists who cover your industry. Engage in meaningful interactions and provide valuable insights for future collaborations.
By consistently producing high-quality journalistic content and effectively promoting it to the right audiences and media outlets, you can attract natural backlinks and establish your brand as a trusted authority in your industry.
6. Quora, Medium and Reddit Link Building
Many of you might get up from your seats and start shouting ‘No-Follow Links’. You will be right, but there are some things, you need to consider. Google is very ambiguous when it comes to building no-follow backlinks on high-quality industry authority sites.
Many SEOs follow a well-defined strategy to place backlinks and drive traffic from such platforms to their desired pages. This means you should actively pursue a content strategy on Quora, Medium, Reddit, and other similar review platforms.
Link building on platforms like Quora, Medium, and Reddit can be an effective strategy to drive traffic and acquire high-quality backlinks. Here are the steps for each platform:
Quora Link Building:
- Identify Relevant Questions:
- Search for questions related to your niche or industry. Look for questions with a substantial number of views and followers.
- Provide Valuable Answers:
- Write insightful, well-researched answers to these questions. Include relevant information and demonstrate your expertise.
- Include a Link to Your Content:
- Where appropriate, insert a link to your relevant blog post, article, or resource that provides more in-depth information on the topic.
- Avoid Spamming:
- Ensure your answers are genuinely helpful and not overly promotional. Quora’s community guidelines discourage spam.
- Engage with the Quora Community:
- Participate in discussions, upvote valuable answers, and engage with the Quora community to build credibility.
Medium Link Building:
- Write High-Quality Content:
- Produce informative, engaging, and well-researched articles that resonate with your target audience.
- Include Internal Links:
- Within your Medium articles, include internal links to your relevant blog posts, articles, or resources on your own website.
- Leverage Publications:
- Submit your articles to Medium publications related to your niche. Publications can extend the reach of your content.
- Engage with Readers:
- Respond to comments on your articles and engage with readers to foster a sense of community.
- Promote Your Medium Articles:
- Share your Medium articles on your social media channels, email newsletters, and other relevant platforms.
Reddit Link Building:
- Identify Relevant Subreddits:
- Find subreddits that are relevant to your niche or industry. Each subreddit has its own rules and guidelines.
- Participate Actively:
- Engage with the Reddit community by commenting on posts, upvoting helpful content, and being a valuable member.
- Share Your Content Sparingly:
- Share your own content sparingly and only when it genuinely adds value to a discussion. Avoid self-promotion.
- Use Reddit’s “Submit a Link” Feature:
- Submit links to your high-quality blog posts or resources in relevant subreddits using the “Submit a Link” feature.
- Follow Subreddit Rules:
- Read and follow the rules and guidelines of each subreddit to avoid being banned or downvoted.
- Engage in Discussions:
- After sharing your content, engage in discussions, answer questions, and provide insights related to your post.
- Monitor and Respond:
- Keep an eye on comments and respond promptly to any questions or feedback on your linked content.
Remember that link building on these platforms should always prioritize providing value and contributing to the community rather than solely focusing on obtaining backlinks. When done authentically, these platforms can drive traffic.
PS: We have written a complete article on Why Reddit Backlinks Impact Your SEO.
7. Creating Infographics
Many SEOs have started experimenting with quality infographics in recent years. They point out that many people prefer to go through a well explained and informative infographic rather than read through two or three thousand words. You can download free infographic templates to scale up your link building efforts.
An infographic driven backlink building strategy has to be complemented by a proper email marketing strategy. You need to identify publishers who are creating content on the same lines and request them to use the infographic by giving you a backlink.
Creating infographics as a link-building strategy is an effective way to attract backlinks and drive traffic to your website.
Here are the steps to create and promote infographics for link building:
- Plan the Infographic Structure:
- Outline the structure and flow of your infographic. Determine the key points, sections, and visual elements you want to include.
- Design the Infographic:
- Create the infographic using design tools like Canva, Adobe Illustrator, or Piktochart. Pay attention to layout, color schemes, fonts, and visual elements to make it visually appealing.
- Visualize Data Creatively:
- Represent your data and information using visually engaging charts, graphs, icons, and illustrations. Ensure that the visuals are easy to understand.
- Craft an Attention-Grabbing Title:
- Create a clear and compelling title for your infographic. The title should convey the main message and pique the viewer’s interest.
- Add Credible Sources:
- Include citations and references for the data used in your infographic. This adds credibility and transparency to your content.
- Review and Proofread:
- Review your infographic for accuracy, clarity, and grammar. Make any necessary revisions to improve its quality.
- Create an Embed Code:
- Generate an embed code for your infographic using tools like Siege Media’s Embed Code Generator. This makes it easy for others to share your infographic on their websites.
- Publish on Your Website:
- Publish the infographic on your website or blog. Create a dedicated page or blog post for it and provide context or additional information.
- Promote on Social Media:
- Share your infographic on your social media channels to increase its visibility. Encourage your followers to share it as well.
- Outreach to Relevant Websites:
- Identify websites, blogs, and influencers in your niche that might be interested in your infographic. Reach out to them via email or social media with a personalized pitch.
- Offer Guest Posts with Infographic Inclusions:
- Pitch guest post ideas to relevant websites or blogs and offer to include your infographic as part of the content. This can help you secure backlinks within guest posts.
- Submit to Infographic Directories:
- Submit your infographic to infographic directories and sharing platforms. Some popular options include Visual.ly, Infogram, and Pinterest.
- Repurpose and Update:
- Periodically update your infographic with new data or insights to keep it relevant. You can then re-promote it to gain additional backlinks.
Creating and promoting infographics as a link-building strategy requires creativity, research, and outreach efforts. By producing high-quality infographics that provide value to your target audience, you can attract backlinks from authoritative sources and enhance your website’s SEO performance.
8. Roundup Game
It is one of the proven strategies and many SMEs have built tons of backlinks by creating round-up posts. You can simply interview an influencer and people will start linking to your interview page. Isn’t it a cool strategy to build some quick links?
A well-executed roundup game can not only help you secure valuable backlinks but also establish your website as a reputable source of industry insights and expertise. Building and maintaining relationships with experts and influencers can lead to further link-building opportunities and collaborations.
Here are the steps to execute a roundup game as a link-building strategy:
- Identify a Compelling Topic:
- Choose a relevant and engaging topic that resonates with your target audience and industry. Ensure that the topic is broad enough to gather diverse insights.
- Create a List of Experts or Influencers:
- Compile a list of experts, influencers, or thought leaders in your niche who can contribute valuable insights to your roundup post.
- Outreach and Invitation:
- Contact the identified experts individually via email, social media, or professional networks. Craft a personalized and compelling invitation, explaining the topic and the value of their participation.
- Provide Clear Guidelines:
- Share clear guidelines with your contributors, outlining the format, word count, and deadline for their contributions. Include any specific questions or prompts to guide their responses.
- Collect Contributions:
- Gather the contributions from the experts. Ensure that you receive their insights within the specified deadline.
- Create the Roundup Post:
- Compile the expert contributions into a well-structured and informative blog post. Introduce the topic, provide context for each contribution, and organize the content logically.
- Include Author Bios and Links:
- Beneath each contributor’s insights, include a brief author bio that highlights their expertise and a link to their website, blog, or social media profile.
- Optimize for SEO:
- Optimize your roundup post for search engines by using relevant keywords, meta tags, and a descriptive title. Make it mobile-friendly and easy to read.
- Visual Elements:
- Enhance your post with visuals like images, graphics, and pull quotes to make it visually appealing and shareable.
- Publish on Your Website:
- Publish the roundup post on your website or blog. Ensure it is easily accessible and well-promoted within your site’s navigation.
- Promotion and Outreach:
- Promote your roundup post on social media platforms, email newsletters, and relevant online communities or forums. Tag the contributors in your social media posts to encourage sharing.
- Email Contributors:
- Send a follow-up email to the contributors notifying them of the post’s publication. Provide them with shareable links and encourage them to share it within their networks.
- Outreach for Backlinks:
- Reach out to relevant websites, blogs, and industry publications to inform them about your roundup post. Suggest that they consider linking to it as a valuable resource.
- Build Relationships:
- Nurture relationships with the contributors and other influencers within your industry for future collaborations and link-building opportunities.
- Repeat the Process:
- Periodically create new roundup posts on different topics to continually attract backlinks and maintain your website’s authority.
9. Create Useful Guides
Start creating long-form content, Google prefers long-form content as compared to short articles. You can create a guide that has complete information about the topic and people will start linking to that guide
Here are the steps to create and promote useful guides for link building:
- Choose a Relevant Topic:
- Select a topic that addresses a specific pain point, challenge, or interest within your niche or industry.
- Conduct Thorough Research:
- Gather information, data, statistics, and insights related to your chosen topic from reputable sources. Ensure your research is up-to-date and comprehensive.
- Plan the Guide Structure:
- Outline the structure of your guide, including sections, sub-sections, and key points you want to cover. Ensure it flows logically and is easy to navigate.
- Craft High-Quality Content:
- Write well-researched, engaging, and informative content for your guide. Use clear and concise language, and break up text with visuals and examples.
- Incorporate Actionable Tips and Solutions:
- Provide practical advice, actionable tips, and solutions that help your audience address the problem or challenge discussed in the guide.
- Include Relevant Examples:
- Use real-world examples, case studies, or success stories to illustrate key points and make the content relatable.
- Optimize for SEO:
- Ensure your guide is optimized for search engines by using relevant keywords, meta tags, and a descriptive title. Make it mobile-friendly and fast-loading.
- Create a Table of Contents:
- Include a table of contents at the beginning of the guide, allowing readers to navigate to specific sections easily.
- Add Interactive Elements:
- Consider adding interactive elements like quizzes, checklists, or downloadable templates to engage your audience.
- Include Links to External Resources:
- If relevant, include outbound links to reputable sources, studies, or additional reading materials. Properly cite and reference these sources.
- Promotion and Outreach:
- Share your guide on your website, blog, and social media channels. Email it to your subscribers and encourage them to share it.
- Outreach to Influencers and Industry Websites:
- Identify influencers, bloggers, and industry websites that might find your guide valuable. Reach out to them with a personalized pitch and offer to share your guide with their audience.
- Leverage Email Marketing:
- Use email outreach to notify your contacts, partners, and industry connections about your guide. Ask for their feedback and suggestions for improvement.
- Engage with Comments and Feedback:
- Encourage readers to leave comments, feedback, and questions on your guide. Engage with them and provide helpful responses.
- Build Relationships:
- Foster relationships with those who engage with your guide and collaborate with other experts or influencers in your industry for future projects.
- Update and Maintain:
- Periodically update your guide to ensure it remains relevant and accurate. Share the updates with your audience and promote them.
Creating and promoting useful guides as a link-building strategy requires a combination of quality content, strategic promotion, and relationship-building efforts.
10. Claim Broken Links
A broken link strategy can effectively increase your link count if done properly and consistently. Simply audit your competitors’ sites and then find the broken link opportunities. There are many SEO tools that could help in finding broken link opportunities such as Ahrefs, Moz, Semrush and so on. Reach out to their site admins and suggest some resources and ask for a link.
Here is the simple and effective email template-
See the response below-
Usually, it requires some effort to find the opportunities and reach out to the site admins. It is worth spending the time on this.
11. Hot Topics
Creating content on the current trends in your similar niche can get you organic links. Writing about trending topics, offer new data or news that can additionally contribute to your website. You can use the tools like Google Alerts, Ahrefs – Content Explorer, and Buzzsumo to understand the new trends in your niche.
Here are the 7 main steps for leveraging hot topics as a link-building strategy:
- Choose Relevant Hot Topics:
- Select hot topics that are closely related to your niche or business. Ensure they align with your expertise and the interests of your target audience.
- Define Your Unique Angle:
- Develop a unique perspective or angle on the hot topic. Identify what sets your content apart from existing discussions and articles.
- Create High-Quality Content:
- Craft high-quality content that provides value and addresses the hot topic thoroughly. Use clear and engaging language, supported by relevant visuals if applicable.
- Include Visual Elements:
- Enhance your content with visuals like images, infographics, videos, and charts to make it more engaging and shareable.
- Cite and Reference Sources:
- Properly cite and reference sources, studies, or experts relevant to the hot topic. This adds credibility to your content.
- Craft an Attention-Grabbing Headline:
- Create a compelling headline that accurately represents the hot topic and piques the interest of readers.
- Promote on Social Media:
- Share your content on various social media platforms to leverage the current discussion around the hot topic. Use relevant hashtags and encourage sharing.
- Email Outreach:
- Reach out to your email subscribers and notify them about your new content related to the hot topic. Encourage them to share it with their networks.
- Collaborate with Influencers:
- Identify influencers or experts who are discussing the hot topic and reach out for collaboration. They can amplify your content to a broader audience.
- Leverage Newsjacking:
- If the hot topic is related to breaking news, consider “newsjacking” by quickly creating content that offers insights or solutions related to the news event.
- Engage with Comments:
- Respond to comments, questions, and feedback from readers who engage with your content. Foster discussions to increase engagement.
- Request Backlinks:
- Identify authoritative websites, blogs, and industry publications that have discussed the hot topic. Reach out and request backlinks to your content if it provides additional value.
- Build on the Discussion:
- Continue to contribute to the ongoing discussion around the hot topic by creating follow-up content, updates, or insights.
12. Join Marketing, SEO and Link Building Communities
Another deal in link building best practices is that you should find the best communities where you could collaborate or partner with other brands. There are many online communities that can help you to start building some great links for your website. You can join them on Slack, Facebook, Telegram and so on. Some famous communities are CRO Growth Hacks, and Link Building – ML try them and bring the links for your focus pages.
13. Review Other Websites
You hear me right! Creating testimonials or reviews of other brands can help you in building backlinks. When you write a review for a brand, they can showcase your review to their customers and build trust with their users. They win the users and you win a backlink. It is a win-win for both sides.
Here are the steps to execute this strategy effectively:
- Create High-Quality Reviews:
- Write comprehensive and well-researched reviews that provide valuable insights and opinions. Be honest and objective in your assessment.
- Structure Your Review:
- Organize your review with a clear structure. Consider including sections on design, content quality, user experience, and any standout features.
- Include Visuals:
- Enhance your review with visuals such as screenshots, images, or videos that illustrate key points and enhance the reader’s understanding.
- Highlight Positives and Negatives:
- Highlight both the positive aspects and areas where the website can improve. Offering constructive criticism adds credibility to your review.
- Rate or Score the Website:
- Consider assigning a rating or score to the website to summarize your overall assessment. Use a consistent and transparent rating system.
- Add Internal Links:
- Include internal links within your review to other relevant content on your website. This can help guide readers to explore more of your content.
- Publish on Your Website:
- Publish your reviews on your own website or blog. Create a dedicated section for reviews or incorporate them into relevant categories.
- Promote Your Reviews:
- Share your reviews on your social media channels, email newsletters, and other promotional platforms. Encourage your followers to engage with your reviews.
- Reach Out to Website Owners:
- Notify the owners or administrators of the websites you’ve reviewed about your assessments. Be polite and provide them with a link to the review.
- Request a Backlink:
- In your communication with website owners, kindly ask if they would consider linking to your review from their website. Explain how your review adds value to their content.
- Build a Library of Reviews:
- Continuously review relevant websites, building a library of insightful reviews. This can enhance your credibility and attract more backlinks over time.
- Request Shareable Quotes:
- If website owners find your review particularly positive, request permission to use their endorsement as a shareable quote on your website or in future reviews.
- Maintain Ethical Standards:
- Maintain ethical standards by providing honest and unbiased reviews. Avoid any form of misleading or promotional content.
This approach not only helps you acquire backlinks but also positions you as an authoritative and trusted source within your niche or industry.
14. Inspect Your Competitors
Another ethical link building move to gain backlinks is inspecting your competitors. You can use the tools like Ubbersuggest, Ahrefs, Moz, and Semrush to check up on your competitors, and find out where are they getting some new links. Reach out to those sites and possibly give a good resource, request for a link back to your website.
Here are the steps to execute this strategy effectively:
- Analyze Competitor Backlinks:
- Use SEO tools like Ahrefs, SEMrush, or Moz to analyze your competitors’ backlink profiles. Identify the websites that link to your competitors and examine the quality and relevance of these links.
- Identify Linking Opportunities:
- Identify websites that are linking to your competitors but not to your own website. These are potential linking opportunities that you can explore.
- Analyze Content and Topics:
- Review the content and topics covered by your competitors. Identify the types of content that have attracted backlinks to their websites.
- Create Better Content:
- Develop high-quality and valuable content that is superior to what your competitors have produced. This can include in-depth articles, guides, infographics, videos, or case studies.
- Promote Your Content:
- Promote your content through your website, blog, and social media channels. Share it with your email subscribers and encourage them to share it as well.
- Outreach to Linking Websites:
- Reach out to the websites that are linking to your competitors. Introduce yourself, explain how your content provides additional value, and request that they consider linking to your content as well.
- Offer Guest Posts:
- Contact websites within your niche that accept guest posts. Offer to write informative and relevant guest posts that link back to your content.
- Engage in Discussions:
- Participate in online discussions, forums, and social media conversations related to your industry. Share your insights and expertise, and include links to your content where relevant.
- Build Relationships:
- Build genuine relationships with influencers, bloggers, and website owners within your niche. These relationships can lead to future link-building opportunities.
- Monitor Competitor Activity:
- Continuously monitor your competitors’ websites and backlink profiles. Keep an eye on new linking opportunities that arise.
- Replicate Successful Strategies:
- If you notice that certain link-building strategies are working well for your competitors, consider replicating those strategies with your own unique twist.
- Track and Measure Performance:
- Use analytics tools to track the performance of your link-building efforts. Monitor website traffic, engagement, and the number of backlinks acquired.
Inspecting your competitors and their link-building strategies can uncover valuable insights and opportunities for acquiring backlinks. By creating high-quality content, engaging in outreach, and building relationships within your industry, you can effectively use competitor analysis as a link-building strategy to enhance your website’s authority and visibility.
15. Internal Link Building
Internal linking can help your less popular pages gain some value and authority. It has been always helping users to stay on the website and access many other links. You can have multiple benefits from linking internally the pages like distributing the link juice, boosting page views, improving the page rank and improving avg time on site.
Here are the steps to effectively implement internal link building:
- Audit Your Website:
- Begin by conducting a comprehensive audit of your website’s content and structure. Identify key pages, such as your homepage, cornerstone articles, and important landing pages.
- Create a Content Hierarchy:
- Organize your website’s content into a clear hierarchy, with your most important and high-value pages at the top. This hierarchy will guide your internal linking strategy.
- Select Relevant Anchor Text:
- Choose descriptive and relevant anchor text for your internal links. Avoid generic terms like “click here” and instead use anchor text that reflects the content of the linked page.
- Add Contextual Links:
- Within your content, add contextual links that naturally connect related topics or pages. These links should enhance the user’s understanding of the subject matter.
- Link to High-Value Pages:
- Prioritize linking to high-value pages that you want to rank higher in search engine results or those that are crucial for conversions.
- Use Breadcrumbs:
- Implement breadcrumb navigation on your website, especially for e-commerce sites or websites with complex structures. Breadcrumbs create a clear path for users to navigate your site.
- Monitor Broken Links:
- Regularly check for broken internal links and fix them promptly to ensure a smooth user experience and maintain SEO integrity.
- Avoid Over-Optimization:
- Be cautious not to over-optimize by adding too many internal links to a single page. This can appear spammy and detract from the user experience.
- Track and Analyze Performance:
- Use web analytics tools to track the performance of your internal links. Monitor user engagement, click-through rates, and the impact on rankings.
By following these steps, you can effectively use internal link building as a strategy to improve user navigation, enhance SEO, and boost the authority of your website’s key pages. This, in turn, can lead to improved search engine rankings and a better user experience.
HARO is a great way to get in front of journalists, influencers and bloggers. It’s a search engine that allows you to submit content and search for stories from people who are looking for information on any topic. Once your content is approved you will get a link to either your profile or a web page.
You can submit your story to HARO without having to create an account, but if you want access to the tools that help you manage your submissions, it’s worth creating an account.
HARO puts you in touch with journalists who are looking for information on your topic. You can get their contact details and start building relationships with them right away.
Once you have submitted your request, an editor will review it and contact you if they think they can help you out. This could mean giving you expert advice on a topic or giving you some tips on how to write an article.
If the editor decides that they cannot help you out, they will pass on your request and explain why they cannot help.
It is important to note that HARO does not offer any guarantees about getting responses from sources or about what kind of information might be revealed during interviews.
There are literally tons of other ways to find link building opportunities and it depends on how could you think of being a creative link builder. It is true that organic and ethical link building best practices are evolving. While being innovative, you need to ensure that your content is original (not plagiarised), and SEO optimized. At Marketing Lad, we have experience in SEO and If you find ethical link building practices overwhelming, our experts will help you conduct link profile analysis and build backlinks to strengthen your domain rating.
Are you an SEO who wants to add to the list of ethical link building strategies? Share them with us in the comments section below and help improve the community.